About Us | Site Map | Archaeology | Archives | Articles | Biographies | Cemeteries | Decades - 1900s | Collection | Districts | Heritage Walks | Historic Buildings | Lodges | Military | Newspapers | Photographs | Poems | Rate Payers | Roads | School Registers |
| 1913 Strike



About Us

Site Map

Poems Index

A Parody
An Appreciation of Cambridge
Battle of the Range
Charms of Cambridge
C.H. Treadgold for Seeds!
Seeds! Seeds!
Christmas Love Rhymes
Cows, Cows, Cows
Cricket Match at
Oakleigh Farm

For Sale: Ford Car
Furious Cambridge Flyer
Hearts and Hearths Aglow
Kaimai Battle
Ode to the Imitations of Immortality
Ode to the Imitator
Old Buffers' Match
Our Fire
Ratepayer's Lament and
More Moans

Waikato River
Working Bee
Prize Winning Poems -
Cambridge Historical Society 50th Jubilee Competition



Poems about Cambridge have appeared in Cambridge newspapers for nearly a century and some are repeated here.

When Cambridge was founded in 1864 the east bank of the Waikato River was called Cambridge East and the west bank Cambridge West. But in January 1865 a newspaper correspondent recorded, “As some of our huts are finished, headquarters have been shifted over the other side, some few days back, that is Cambridge, the left bank is Oxford, two very learned names, but study of any sort is not much thought about up here, I think.”
Later, in 1873 the Armed Constabulary complained about the lack of literary encouragement and HQ in Wellington sent up some books to start a library.
It was decided to name all the streets after authors and poets - a practice still continued by Waipa District Council.
In 1907 the Cambridge West Town Board was formed and the name changed to Leamington in 1908. This was the birthplace of the chairman, James Keeley.




While all due care has been taken to verify information contained on this site, the Cambridge Museum accepts no responsibility for any errors, omissions or misrepresentation.

Copyright © 2003 - Cambridge Museum - All Rights Reserved.

Contact us